Re: beautyberry

AH HA!!!!  LOL  That explains things....it was rooted and grew up  adapting
to the soil and conditions. Perhaps that is the key.  I've always  heard to
purchase plants that are grown in one's area, because they are already  adapted
to the area.  Perhaps I'll try that too.  The native plants  that I've
purchased have always originally come from a grower in the Pineywoods  area north of
Houston.....very acidic, very sandy soils, and much cooler  climate.
Thanks for letting me know about this. We have very clay soil with definite
limestone...not as bad as Austin/San Antonio area, but the eastern edge of
that. Beautyberry are supposed to be native to much of Texas not just the  far
east.  So this gives me hope...perhaps if I get a cutting of one that  is
growing further west, or from a grower in or around SA.
Thanks Jim.
zone 9
Texas Gulf Coast
In a message dated 11/8/2006 11:02:24 PM Central Standard Time,