From: Theresa W.
<tchessie1@sbcglobal.net>
To: gardenchat@hort.net
Sent: Monday, November 13,
2006 9:08:29 PM
Subject: Re: [CHAT] OT - Camera question

Just FYI-  I just
had an 18 month old HP printer turn into a very large
expensive paperweight.
Part of the plastic latch that holds the ink
cartridge cracked, and while it
is clearly a replaceable part (it
actually has visible screws)- HP does not
make this part anymore and it
is not available anywhere.  Naturally, I didn't
buy an extended
warrantee- the expense didn't seem justified at the time.
So, I'm just
out of luck and will need to get a new printer eventually (for
my
husband, who fortunately doesn't print much).  P.S.  HP's customer
service phone system is a nightmare to negotiate. On the other hand- I
LOVE
the Dell printer I inherited from my father.  I'll be looking to
see if Dell
has come out with a wireless network capable printer when I
finally do get
around to replacing my husband's printer.

Theresa

Kitty wrote:
> The quality
of the cameras has gone up and the prices have come down a
> lot since Jim
got that first one for $400.  Mine was listed at $700
> when new but is no
better than what you can get today for probably
> $150, or even less. Like
Jim I have been quite suspect of the photo
> printers, just another way to
get you to keep buying more ink for more
> printers.
> Still, if you really
want to get her the combo and don't think her
> parents will mind buying the
ink, I'd look to trusted names like hp or
> canon that have a good track
record in both cameras and printers.  I
> would also look at the printers
specs to find out how many photos can
> be expected from a cartridge.

Kitty
<tchessie1@sbcglobal.net>

>> Wow- I assumed Cyndi was looking for something
more reasonably priced
>> than that.  The new digital that I want for Xmas is
$400- the Canon
>> SD800IS. Can't wait to get it.  The image stabilization
and faster
>> picture speed is great!!
>> I looked for kids digital cameras
last year for my neice, but to no
>> avail. At that time they were all junk.
I hope you have better luck

wrote:
>>> My first digital was a Kodak 4000. it's now Ms Fatma's classroom
>>> camera. Was about $400 at Sears [not exactly a discount retailer].

Came with a 12 pix flash card, so that had to be upgraded. Uses AA

batteries [lithium best results].  Took nice pictures. Word on the
>>> photo
printers is that they're a waste of money--much cheaper to
>>> have the
drugstore print your pictures or print them on your
>>> computer's inkjet.

great-niece one for
which isn't
don't get something