From: owner-gardenchat@hort.net [mailto:owner-gardenchat@hort.net] On Behalf
Of Johnson Cyndi D Civ 95 CG/SCSRT
Sent: Monday, November 13, 2006 12:52 PM
To: gardenchat@hort.net
Subject: [CHAT] Recent events, and a little gardening

I've been busy, but not with much gardening. The horse stuff is taking most
of our free time. I still think that in six months or so we won't be so
frantic but right now we're learning so much, and not being very efficient
with chores and such.
My sister and I have done some travelling during the search for a horse for
me, we even went to Las Vegas to look at a few. Actually she found one there
that she thought might be good for my great-niece, but then she said she
didn't need another horse so why didn't I go and take a look. Well my
husband is not one to pass up a trip to Vegas so we all went, looked at
about 4 of them out there, and my sister ended up buying the one she found
after all. It was a fun trip even if I did pick up a seriously nasty cold;
kept me out of work for two days and I'm still coughing and sneezing.
I did find a nice 13 year old gelding closer to home, made an offer, and we
brought him home a couple days ago. His name is Rio. Haven't done much with
him because of my cold but we've got his tack all adjusted and have ridden
around the back yard a bit, and practiced getting him in and out of the
horse trailer. Our other horse is happy to have company.  My sister says now
that we all have horses we should trailer up to her place on Thanksgiving
and we'll all go riding before the big dinner.
I managed to plant the rest of the bulbs I ordered, probably not in the
spots I intended when I bought them, but they're planted. As I was pulling
back the mulch to dig holes I noticed the bulbs already in the ground have
started to sprout, very handy since I didn't chop through any of them like I
usually do. I'm getting kind of discouraged at the amount of work that needs
to be done, I've really overcommitted my time and the front garden shows it.
I'm trying to come up with a plan; I think if I were able to dig out the
worst of the grass, I could dump a lot of spoiled hay on the rest of it,
mulch and keep weeds down at the same time, it would be easier than buying
bark mulch which we never seem to remember to do (and cheaper). I've
resisted using the hay because it isn't incredibly attractive. But it's
REALLY ugly covered in weeds so what the heck. Although at the moment quite
a lot of it is covered in dead sycamore leaves so that has to be done first.
Hmmm...maybe I should just take the time to shred them, as annoying as it is
to do that, and use them as mulch instead. Of course I did just say I'm
short on time.
I lost a few plants in the dry garden during the last couple months, no
doubt I should have watered a couple more times after the heat of the
summer. Two of the spanish lavenders are gone, and two penstemons. One of
the penstemons (p.strictus) was just huge, I will try to replace it in
spring. And the gophers have eaten the roots off all my agaves now,
dagnabit, and they even ate one of the russian sage plants. The zauschneria
(the one I thought wasn't coming back last spring) is still blooming as is
all the salvia greggii and germander sage (salvia something, but I can't
spell it).
Hope no one is getting flooded, blizzarded, or burnt - weather here has been
almost perfect but of course that increases fire danger in many areas too.
We haven't even had very cold weather yet, I don't think there's been a real
no-kidding frost, it's just been flirting around the mid-thirties.