Re: now Horticulture

I find that is a problem for me, more and more.  Also, I have found that after
about four years a magazine begins to repeat topics.  I can understand this
more now that I have been writing a newsletter for my club for the last 16
years and find it harder and harder to find a new topic.  I think our
problem may be that we have already read and studied so many things
that what appeals to the "average" person seems elementary to us.
In the Horticulture Schools I have run, I frequently find people who have
absolutely no knowledge of basic plant structure and function - and these
are  people who are at least interested enough to take the courses.  I say
"that's just high-school biology," and they look at me blankly.  Don't
schools teach botany any more?  I know, I took all the "boy" courses in
high school - geometry, chemistry, biology, etc. - rather than home ec.,
because that's what interested me (boys, too, of course), but surely some
                    of these things are so basic.
Auralie

In a message dated 11/16/2006 6:36:53 AM Eastern Standard Time,