From: owner-gardenchat@hort.net [mailto:owner-gardenchat@hort.net] On
Behalf Of Aplfgcnys@aol.com
Sent: Thursday, November 16, 2006 6:17 AM
To: gardenchat@hort.net
Subject: Re: [CHAT] now Horticulture

I find that is a problem for me, more and more.  Also, I have found that
after about four years a magazine begins to repeat topics.  I can
understand this more now that I have been writing a newsletter for my
club for the last 16 years and find it harder and harder to find a new
topic.  I think our problem may be that we have already read and studied
so many things that what appeals to the "average" person seems
elementary to us.
In the Horticulture Schools I have run, I frequently find people who
have absolutely no knowledge of basic plant structure and function - and
these are  people who are at least interested enough to take the
courses.  I say "that's just high-school biology," and they look at me
blankly.  Don't schools teach botany any more?  I know, I took all the
"boy" courses in high school - geometry, chemistry, biology, etc. -
rather than home ec.,
because that's what interested me (boys, too, of course), but surely
                    of these things are so basic.

In a message dated 11/16/2006 6:36:53 AM Eastern Standard Time,