Re: Composting

We have real compost piles.  On one side of our steeply sloped
property there is a boulder with a drop-off of about 10 feet, with
a wooded path up to iit.  We dump stuff down the boulder -
alternating sides each year.  A pile will build up almost to the
level of the path in a season, but it does shrink down pretty
fast.  In past years, Chet would turn it for me a couple of times
each summer, but now he is not able to do that, nor am I.
However, I found this fall that last year's pile is pretty nice
stuff, and the bottom of this year's pile is already looking
pretty good.  In past years, I would lay down newspapers in
the vegetable garden, and use the compost on top of it for
mulch - just use it in the flower beds without the newspapers.
It has worked pretty well, though I have never been sure that
it heated up enough to kill off weed seeds - too many weeds
seem to survive for that to be true.
We also have a bin for "kitchen compost."  It used to be one
of those tumblers, but the gear broke a few years back.  Now
we just put stuff in and take it out from the bottom when it gets
full.  Surprisingly, this past year much of it has just been
disappearing.  I guess some critter has found out how to get
in and eat it, but I haven't a clue as to what it would be.
Anyway, compost is the only way I can keep ahead of the
clay and stones.

In a message dated 11/16/2006 11:40:37 AM Eastern Standard Time,