Re: now Horticulture

Auralie, Something I discovered about learning along the way is that you are more likely to be interested in learning when it is something you have an interest in. Yes I took HS biology, chemistry, and physics and hated all of it. Took chem in college, barely scraped by. No interest in these topics whatsoever. Years later when I developed an interest in growing things, I started my hort classes through Guelph. First class was on soils which included chem, physics, biology, etc. I had to work very hard on this class with supplememtal reading to bring myself up to speed since I retained nothing from earlier times. However, because I really wanted to know all these things this time because I had an application that interested me, I thoroughly enjoyed the subjects and did well in the course. When you say "that's just high-school biology," to your class, it may be that they had it but just didn't care at the time. If you don't care, you don't retain.

Kitty
neIN, Zone 5
To: <gardenchat@hort.net>
Sent: Thursday, November 16, 2006 9:16 AM
Subject: Re: [CHAT] now Horticulture

I find that is a problem for me, more and more. Also, I have found that after about four years a magazine begins to repeat topics. I can understand this
more now that I have been writing a newsletter for my club for the last 16
years and find it harder and harder to find a new topic.  I think our
problem may be that we have already read and studied so many things
that what appeals to the "average" person seems elementary to us.
In the Horticulture Schools I have run, I frequently find people who have
absolutely no knowledge of basic plant structure and function - and these
are  people who are at least interested enough to take the courses.  I say
"that's just high-school biology," and they look at me blankly.  Don't
schools teach botany any more?  I know, I took all the "boy" courses in
high school - geometry, chemistry, biology, etc. - rather than home ec.,
because that's what interested me (boys, too, of course), but surely some
                   of these things are so basic.
Auralie

In a message dated 11/16/2006 6:36:53 AM Eastern Standard Time,