Re: Birthday greetings

Bonnie, thanks for the recipe -- sounds so yummy!
--Barb Tandy, Grass Valley CA
To: "gardenchat" <gardenchat@hort.net>
Sent: Saturday, November 18, 2006 9:18 AM
Subject: [CHAT] Birthday greetings

Happy Birthday, Linda. Hope you are able to spend some time in your gardens. What did the good garden fairy bring?

I've just planted some more daffodils, Alliums, and iris along a new
brick walk that I put in during the summer. We have had the most
magnificent fall in about 30 years...high color for almost a month and
cool evenings with warmer noons...just perfect. Hope you have had
something similar. Makes me happy to be a gardener.

I let some butternut squash volunteer and cover part of my lawn that I
didn't really want to mow. I have been sharing the squash as it was
abundant. The other night, I used it in a risotto...yummy.

Here is the recipe:

Butternut Squash Risotto
Serves 6

7 Tbs. unsalted butter
2 Tbs. minced fresh sage
6 cups vegetable or chicken stock
2 cups butternut squash puree
2 Tbs. olive oil
2/3 cup caramelized onions
2 cups Arborio rice
1 tsp. minced fresh rosemary
= cup dry white wine
= cup grated Parmigiano-Reggiano
Salt and freshly ground pepper, to taste

In a small saucepan over medium heat, melt 4 Tbs. butter; add 1 Tbs.
sage. Heat until butter browns. Strain butter and discard sage; keep
butter warm.

In large saucepan over medium-high heat, whisk together stock and squash puree. Bring to a simmer; maintain over low heat.

In risotto pan over medium heat, warm oil. Add onions and rice; stir 3
minutes. Stir in 1 Tbs. sage and rosemary. Add wine; stir until
absorbed. Add stock mixture a ladleful at a time; stir frequently. Wait
until stock is almost completely absorbed before adding more. When rice
is tender to bite but slightly firm in center, after about 30 minutes,
stir in 3 Tbs. butter, cheese, salt and pepper. Add more stock if needed
so rice is creamy. Let stand 2 minutes. Drizzle with sage butter.

Bonnie Zone 7/7 ETN
Remember: The River Raisin, The Alamo, The Maine, Pearl Harbor, 9/11