Re: Sam update

That is great news, although I wish they were all home NOW!.....

Ditto on
Pam's message... what a wonderful Xmas this will be!

Donna

>> The latest
update from my sister, Sam's mom:

>> "We're in the final days of Sam's duty
in Iraq.  His unit will be in
>> Kuwait
>> shortly after Thanksgiving.  The
21st MP Co should leave Kuwait around
>> December 4th and touch down at Pope
AFB (Fort Bragg, NC) by the 7th or
>> so.
>> After they go through
"decompression", deployment leave should start
>> around
>> the 18th or so.
The goal is to get Sam home for his birthday on 12/20
>> and
>> then to
really CELEBRATE Christmas!

>> "Sam has spent some of his final days in
Iraq on his cot.  His Humvee was
>> sent to Camp Stryker to have its armor
upgraded.  This should have taken
>> 48
>> hours but Sam was there for about a
week with nothing to do.  So, like
>> any
>> good soldier, he got as much
rest as he could.  When he wasn't sleeping,
>> he
>> watched DVDs or listened
to music--on his cot.  At some point, he found
>> the
>> mess tent and latrine
but the rest of his time was spent on his cot!

>> "Sam slipped a few weeks
ago and bruised his back.  That's why he took so
>> much cot-time.  He didn't
have to wear his body armor which has been
>> dreadfully uncomfortable with
the backache.

>> "He's been stationed in the Dora area.  For those not
following the
>> problems
>> in Iraq, Dora is home to a large open-air market
that is regularly
>> attacked
>> by bombers (suicide and others) and
hostage-takers.  This area is also
>> controlled by al-Sadr's Mahdi Army
(al-Sadr is the American-hating
>> cleric).
>> It's just such a fun place to
be...

>> "As some of you know, Sam's best friend was killed by a sniper on
>> 10/3/06.
>> On 10/10/06, a mortar round fired into FOB Falcon (Sam's camp)
ignited
>> the
>> ammo dump. Amazingly, the ammunition blew up for four hours
and the
>> explosions could be felt up to 5 miles away, yet no one was killed
or
>> injured.
>>
>> "For all of you who have prayed for Sam or even just had
good thoughts,