Re: I like fall

Why do you have to pollinate the lemon yourself? Is it inside? Just curious. I've been reading Eric Grissell's Insects and Gardens (Great read, and we should all take this man's advice to heart) so this makes me curious as to your lack of pollinators.
To: <gardenchat@hort.net>
Sent: Monday, November 20, 2006 4:40 PM
Subject: [CHAT] I like fall

It's seventy degrees, no wind, and clear as anything. The weather the
last few weeks has been just wonderful. I think it might have been
almost 80 yesterday. We usually have great weather in October but
November is kind of iffy, this year it's been amazing.
I finally got all my patio plants into the greenhouse. Hasn't been any
hurry because it's been so warm - I don't think we've had frost yet. It
got cold enough to blast my peppers and basil right on schedule, at the
end of October, but I still have living tomato plants in the garden. But
everything tender is tucked away now. I think I will have to do
something about spiders in the near future though. I haven't seen any
more black widows but there are webs from other kinds showing up weekly,
and I'm sure I brought in a few more with this weekend. I thought about
spraying everything down before putting it inside but in the end I
didn't, just wanted to get the job done. Hope I don't regret that...I
didn't see any whiteflies but it doesn't mean there weren't some
lurking. I got the pond filter cleaned too, and watered the dry garden.
Oh and my lemon tree has flower buds, I'll have to watch and get out
there with my paintbrush when they open. If I'm really lucky I might get
a lemon next year...but I'll not count my lemons before they're picked.
That was about it for the weekend's gardening - I had a riding lesson
Saturday morning and then did the gardening chores. Sunday I went hiking
in the morning, helped my husband with some construction when I got
back, and we went riding in our neighborhood in the afternoon. First
time I've taken my new horse out. (Wow, I own a horse - every now and
again this thought smacks me one.)  Anyway we had a nice relaxing ride,
just what I was hoping for. If the weather holds, we'll trailer up to my
sister's on Thanksgiving and go riding before the feast, I'm looking
forward to that.

Cyndi