Happy turkey day!

Why we love thanksgiving! The best holiday of 'em all.
by Mitch Albom

I'll
take Thanksgiving.

You can have Halloween, New Year's, Christmas, Fourth of
July, Easter,
Hanukkah and any day dedicated to presidents. You can stack
them all up on
one side, and the turkey and I will stand on the other. I'll
take
Thanksgiving.

It is, to me, exactly what a holiday should be. For one
thing, there are
no gifts. You never have to worry about what to get someone
for
Thanksgiving or how much to spend. There are no lectures about "greed" or
"commercialization" or how we're "forgetting the spirit" of Thanksgiving.
No
way. The spirit of Thanksgiving is eating. Who could forget that?

Secondly,
it comes with football. What other holiday does that? New Year's
Day? But at
least with Thanksgiving, you don't have a hangover. Also,
there is no "right"
place to go on Thanksgiving ? except home. There is no
church or synagogue.
No graves that must be visited. No trekking out to
watch fireworks. You just
sit on the couch, or sit at the table, and you
laugh and eat and laugh and
burp and ta-da? you are credited with knowing
the "true meaning" of the
holiday. Also, it comes with a parade.

Did I mention the dressing? Not the
turkey dressing. The human dressing.
There isn't any! Oh, sure, maybe you put
on a nice pair of pants. Maybe.
But who really dresses up for Thanksgiving?
You
can celebrate in a sweatshirt. Can you say that about New Year's Eve? Not
unless you're a lonely, pathetic loser.
And Thanksgiving doesn't require some
smarty-pants history known only by
your geeky cousin from Baltimore. Uh-uh.
There's no quoting Lincoln or
Washington. No reading from the Declaration of
Independence. What do you
need to know about Thanksgiving? The Pilgrims and
the Indians had dinner.
Pass the gravy.

Thanksgiving never moves. It is
always on a Thursday, strategically placed
so that you might as well take off
Friday as well, since Saturday and
Sunday are next, and, while you're at it,
maybe half of Wednesday just to
pick up everyone from the airport.
Thanksgiving gets you half a week off.
What does Labor Day get you? Monday?
And there is no shopping on Thanksgiving, unlike Memorial Day or
Presidents
Day. Sure, there are Thanksgiving sales, but you do them on
FRIDAY! How cool
is that? Also, there are no masks. You don't beg for
candy from strangers.And
nobody eggs your house.
Have I mentioned stuffing? There is no more
celebratory food ? short of
dessert ? than stuffing. Be honest. When you were
young, you couldn't get
enough of it, right? Maybe you hated cranberry sauce,
but all kids loved
stuffing. It was everything great about bread and pudding
and hot, mushy
food wrapped into one.

Tell me you don't still feel that.
Tell me there's anything better than a
meal that goes all night, that doesn't
have an event tied to it, that
doesn't come with a bill at the end. Tell me
there's anything better than
only having to catch up with your aunts, uncles
and cousins to feel like
you did the holiday proud. Tell me there's anything
easier than passing
plates. Tell me there's any better place to appreciate
what you have than
in a kitchen filled with good smells. Tell me there's a
better invention
than "the kids' table."

And what holiday not only condones
but pretty much expects you to fall
asleep on the couch?

So let's sum up.
No costumes, no presents, no services, no tuxedoes, no
time limit, no guilt
trips, and all the food, naps and football you want.
I'll take Thanksgiving.
After all, no one tries to sit on the turkey's lap
and ask for an Xbox.
- -
- -
Amen!!! Happy Thanksgiving from my home to yours

Donna