Re: overwintering Colocasia: wasFall Activities

> From: Cathy Carpenter <cathy.c@insightbb.com>
> Anyone in the "cold zones" successfully overwinter colocasia?

Yup, but not outdoors - they aren't hardy north of Raleigh, NC and
there they need to be kept dry outside so they don't rot.  I have my
huge ones in pots in the garage under lights where they more or less
sorta try to keep growing tho' they don't really get enough light to
make them very happy.  You can, with some, let them go dormant and
keep them in a cool spot - like 50F on the dry side but not totally
dried out.  I think some can be held over as dry tubers out of soil,
but have not tried it as they vary by species.

I have also kept them more or less growing in the house in a sunny
window.  Trouble there is that they need copious amounts of water and
higher humidity than they get inside so are not really happy and are
subject to spider mites as I always forget to water them.  I still
keep my Alocasias in the house and they limp thru' the winter;
generally they don't need as much water as Colocasias.

The garage is open to my greenhouse which has a gravel floor, so when
I water, humidity goes up and most of my tender plants seem happier
there tho' it can get pretty chilly sometimes even with some heat
from the garage.

Marge Talt, zone 7 Maryland
Shadyside Garden Designs