From: james singer <islandjim1@verizon.net>
To: gardenchat@hort.net
Sent:
Tuesday, November 28, 2006 1:54:01 PM
Subject: Re: [CHAT] Mineral collection
on terra cotta pots

That's likely the case here, too, Bonnie. Florida's just
a limestone
spur on the continent. Some say if it's not destroyed from
without, it
will be destroyed from within. And they're not talking politics,
although that may be the case also. The spur must look like a natural
sponge
or a proper Swiss cheese--full of holes to accommodate the
up-welling forces
of fresh water, which, of course, further erode the
base. Far scarier than
hurricanes are the sink holes that this
up-welling causes, Whole
neighborhoods can disappear in the blink of an
eye--and without warning, much
like an earthquake or tsunami but
without the hullaballoo and tabloid
headlines.

On Nov 28, 2006, at 12:23 PM, Bonnie Holmes wrote:

> In my area,
it is due to high limestone content in water.  I try to use
> softened or
rainwater on my potted plants to reduce the mineral
> build-up.
> I usually
just scrape it off.  A bit of vinegar water will also
> dissolve it
> but I
wouldn't leave it on too long.

> Bonnie Zone 7/7 ETN
> Remember:  The River
Raisin, The Alamo, The Maine, Pearl Harbor, 9/11

From: james singer <islandjim1@verizon.net>

Date: 11/26/2006 9:57:51 AM
>> Subject: Re: [CHAT] Mineral collection on terra
cotta pots

>> I looked around a bit and couldn't find anything about
it--except a
>> few
>> articles about how to clean it off; none about whether
you should
>> clean
>> it off. In theory, I suppose, it would eventually
reduce the porosity
>> of the pot, which is one of the major benefits of clay
pots. On the

wrote:

>>> Is this simply unsightly, or is it a problem for the plants in
the
>>> pot? If so, what should I do?
>>>

>>> Cathy, west central IL, z5b

>> Island Jim