From: owner-gardenchat@hort.net [mailto:owner-gardenchat@hort.net]On
Behalf Of pdickson
Sent: Thursday, November 30, 2006 6:07 PM
To: gardenchat@hort.net
Subject: Re: [CHAT] weather conditions

Cyndi,
Funny that you mentioned tumbleweeds.  My sister in law and brother are in
Armenia for 2 years and she is writing her journal via e-mails to everyone
back home.  I found the following excerpt interesting about tumbleweeds.  I
took out the name of the man she is referring to since this can be seen by
so many.... but I thought you might find it interesting.
Tricia

" I referred, jokingly, to Texas tumbleweeds in a parking lot at one of the
museums we visited.  A good friend and one whose knowledge knows no bounds
shared with me the source of the plant which we thought was as native to
Texas as the armadillo.  He shared with me that my Texas tumbleweeds are
actually descendents of Russian thistles.  Evidently, Ukrainian Mennonite
immigrant farmers brought the weed seed interspersed in flax seed when they
came to the US in 1873.  By 1900 the weed had spread from North Dakota,
California, Oklahoma, and Arizona.   The weed seeds were spread in
commercial seed, in cattle cars, and of course by the winds.  He says, "The
Navajos around Snowflake, Arizona where I was teaching in the late 1950's,
dried it and ground it into a powder to give to people who have the flu.  In
the '30's and 40's they gave it to people who got smallpox, until smallpox
was wiped out."   Maybe it will be the source of a cure for Bird Flu.  Being
the master teacher that he is, I can already imagine his kind response to
this journal edition informing me that armadillo's aren't native to Texas
either.