To: "Garden Chat" <gardenchat@hort.net>
Sent: Sunday, November 04, 2007 12:58 PM
Subject: [CHAT] Everyone must be....

busy this weekend. Not much happening here. Kinda chilly when I got up--55 degrees--but that's relative, I guess. Started a bunch of cuttings of strawberry guava [Psidium cattleianum (aka P. littorale)] for a friend in India. Don't know if they'll root; apparently the cuttings can be somewhat stubborn. Interesting and odd thing about the plant: it's invasive in Hawaii's rainforest [where wild pigs spread the seeds] and in central Florida [where birds spread the seeds], but not here--and in fact, I can't get it to grow from seed for some reason. And my friend in India is batting zero-for-two trying to grow them from seeds also.

If you've never seen this plant, it's a nice, large, multi-stem shrub with very nice stem color and contour--somewhat like crepe myrtle but without the peeling [and suckering]. The local library has several that have been trimmed up as small trees, and they're quite eye-catching.

Island Jim
Southwest Florida
27.1 N, 82.4 W
Hardiness Zone 10