RE: Everyone must be....

Busy but alas, not gardening. I got one pot - one - into the greenhouse.
Saturday morning husband sat down to do bills and discovered that early
last month someone had stolen our outgoing mail, with paid bills in it,
and was busy writing checks around town using our account. So we spent
hours at the bank backtracking all that stuff and more hours online
trying to make sure they hadn't gotten into anything else. I still need
to make the police report. Did you know (I didn't) that they don't even
need your checks? The ones that were cashed were complete fakes, they
just put our account number on the bottom. And poor fakes at that,
anyone who really looked at it would have seen the typos and weird
lettering, but oh well. We are hoping they are small-time criminals
since all the activity happened a few days after the theft and nothing
in the last couple weeks. What a PITA.
What gorgeous weather we are having! In the back of my mind is the
little voice that says we need rain, but it's just so wonderful now...no
wind, sun, temps in the high 70s. Beautiful. Sunday I went hiking for a
couple hours and then we loaded up my horse and went out to where
husband's horse is being trained and boarded. My sister met us there and
we went for a trail ride. More dirt roads than trails, but we hadn't
been out there before so at least we didn't get lost. The rabbitbrush is
blooming now and we were surrounded by hundreds of acres of sunny yellow
(don't get too close, it smells atrocious). Ah you can't imagine how
pretty the day was.
My sycamores are dropping leaves now, so I guess it's time to start
raking. And my poor rhododendron looks awful. We had the water rationing
last week so all the sprinklers were off. Only a week of not watering,
and it wasn't seriously hot, but the poor plant looks really bad. I am
now feeling irresponsible for keeping this cool woodland plant here in
the desert, I've always been kind of smug about having one but now I
wonder - given our water problems - if I should be keeping it. Well, if
it doesn't recover now that we're watering again, problem solved.
Everything else looks fine.

Cyndi