Fall

Many of your descriptions of fall weather sound like my own.  Right now, the leaves are full of color...a full month late and surprising more colorful than I expected after such a wretched summer and early fall.  This week, we had several frosts which did in most of my tomatoes and the squash vines.  I finally got some garlic planted and a couple of beds mulched.  Do you know about this new website on drought?  http://www.drought.gov/portal/server.pt  The precipation input from COCORAHS is being shared since it also indicates no precipation.  The information on this site is still very experimental but good that the data is beginning to be collected and studied.

For those of you collecting family history information, don't despair.  My husband researched and gathered information for years when he was younger.  The only ones interested at that time were the older folks who were amazed that he was interested.  A few years ago, we copied all the pertinent information and made it available at a family reunion.  The younger folks had finally become so interested that he ran out of copies (we had made around 50).

I started much later and went to my parent's home town where I interviewed several great aunts.  Unfortunately, I had only a week and didn't get all the information I needed.  Then, when we adopted and I was still working, I put the history aside.  We are still trying to gather more information.  I have two members back to Europe (most of my family came in the mid-1800s) and am still working, occasionally, on the others.

Bonnie Holmes
ETN Zone 7