Re: newest plants

We've had Callicarpa get 6-7 feet here in the understory. It sprawls, too--maybe wider than it is tall.

On Nov 10, 2007, at 8:51 AM, Kitty wrote:

Callicarpa americana grows 3 to 6 feet according to Kemper, never gets to more than 3 ft here as we are on the edge of hardiness. The only one I've seen here is in full sun. Most dogwoods are best w an eastern exposure here. Full Texas sun would be too much in most cases. Sounds like your hunter found some excellent specimens worth propagating.

Kitty
neIN, Zone 5
----- Original Message ----- From: "Andrea Hodges" <andreah@hargray.com>
To: <gardenchat@hort.net>
Sent: Saturday, November 10, 2007 7:23 AM
Subject: Re: [CHAT] newest plants

Tricia-keep in mind the Callicarpa will get quite large and is an understory plant. I always forget how big the really will be. I'd also still consider the dogwood as an understory. We've got some here that grow in full sun but they're never as pretty as those that get a tiny bit of late afternoon shade.

I'm jealous of your Fothergilla. It's too hot for them here but I think they are so pretty.

Good luck!
----- Original Message ----- From: "Patricia" <pdickson@sbcglobal.net>