Re: Off topic... cat introduction

I know diddly about cats, but was told that a smidge of talcum/bath powder on both newcomer and older cat would minimize acquaintance stress. It seemed to work this time.

I also read that putting an old collar on a new dog would help the newcomer to be accepted. Haven't tried that one.

To: <gardenchat@hort.net>
Sent: Wednesday, November 21, 2007 12:55 PM
Subject: Re: [CHAT] Off topic... cat introduction

Well, my newest edition is really settled in. She does sleep in the bathroom though- so that the other cats and I all get some sleep. I've done the thing where you put the new cat in a separate room from the others, and then change that room everyday. This way the whole house smells like the new cat, before any of the existing cats ever see the new one. Supposed to make the new comer less threatening since they don't smell new anymore by the time they are face-to-face. I do think this works the best from my experience. With my kitten I just didn't have time or will-power to do this, so we just let everyone have to deal with this. Which after a week or so, worked out too. Helps that this was a kitten though.