Re: pet rescue

That is a really great article Kitty!!  We just rescued a Newfoundland/Lab mix dog that an owner took into the vet to have it put down because it was "vicious" and it grabbed her son's arm.  This dog is 3 years old and still considered a puppy for such a large breed.  After questioning this woman, another lady overheard her tell the vet that she has three "rowdy" boys that play to rough with the dog and she was worried that the dog would end up hurting them.  The lady that overhead the conversation pulled the vet aside and said she would pay to have the dog kenneled until she could find a good home for it because she didn't have room at her house for another dog.  When my husband and I went to see her, you could tell by her behavior that she had been abused and treated poorly.  We picked her up on Saturday morning and this dog doesn't have a mean bone in her body.  Her "bite" on the boy's arm was a gentle warning to leave her alone.  She is now attached to my husband like
 glue and whines if he goes out of her sight.  She is good with all the other animals and is such a gentle giant.  We love her.  She looks like a small HORSE and takes up half the floor when she lays down, but she is just so SWEET.  I figured with 25 acres and access to two ponds, we had enough room for this dog.  Newfoundlands and labs both like water and being able to run.  We have that.  I hate it when people are cruel to animals.  Makes me fighting mad.

Kitty <kmrsy@comcast.net> wrote:
  There was an article in our paper not long ago about choosing a dog. The
author cautioned against using breed-specific rescuers because they might be
profiting from their mission. This prompted a letter to the editor from a
rescuer that detailing the huge amounts they spend on each rescue and that
they make absolutely no profit. Today's letter was from the local animal
control facility which had given the original information to the author of
the article. Their PR person wanted to clarify what she'd said. She praised
genuine rescue groups wholeheartedly, but explained, "What I conveyed to
[the author] is that there are now some groups posing as rescues. In
actuality, they make a profit on the sale of the dogs and they take
advantage of unsuspecting consuers, donors, and businesses. Our director
recently contacted the AG's office to discuss concerns that reputable
rescues were potentially being hurt by buy-sell operations posing as rescue
groups. The AG confirmed not only that trend in IN but an even larger
movement for dealers and puppy mills to register as non-profit
She then went on to suggest reading "When is a Rescue not a Rescue?" at

Thought some of you might be interested.

neIN, Zone 5