The T-Day weekend

  • To: <gardenchat@hort.net>
  • Subject: The T-Day weekend
  • From: "Johnson Cyndi D Civ 95 CG/SCSRT" <cyndi.johnson@edwards.af.mil>
  • Date: Mon, 26 Nov 2007 10:31:26 -0800

We sure have had some great weather over the last week. Of course we
need rain, but if it's not going to rain it might as well be warm and
sunny, and it was.
The Tuesday before Thanksgiving we took a day off work and went riding
out in the desert with my sister, her granddaughter, and another couple.
It was an old mining area and now is part of a state park. We rode
through this wonderful desert canyon looking at all the rock layers, I
think there was every kind of rock you can think of, and eventually came
to a little spring bubbling up. Very nice with a couple trees and some
cattails. I must say I like looking at vegetation more than rocks but
the rocks were very colorful; my great-niece said it was like Neapolitan
ice cream with white, pink, green and brown layers.  Saw a few birds at
the spring and a tarantula coming back, otherwise not a living thing
there but us.
We also rode on Thursday at my sister's, our second annual Thanksgiving
ride, and we had a riding lesson on Saturday. So at least the horses
worked off their calories. But Sunday I went hiking with my friend, this
time we did 6 miles on the Pacific Crest Trail. Great weather and not a
motorcycle or suicidal mountain biker to be seen, very pleasant.  We did
not get so much as a breath of the Santa Ana winds that started fires
once again (sigh).
I got out the rake and the lawnmower and cleaned up a big chunk of the
leaves in the front, filled up our dumpster and the green waste bin. Of
course there is another billion pounds of leaves left on the trees but I
got most of what was down and it looks better. After looking at the
finances I decided to wait on talking to gardeners until at least
February, we have to get the trees trimmed too and that won't be cheap.
So more leaf raking is in my future.
The rhododendron that wilted while we had the water turned off is not
recovering at all. There are still green stems but they are a bit
withered. I don't think it's coming back but I'll leave it until spring
just to make sure. My bay tree that also got water deprived is not
showing any signs of regrowth either, but unlike the rhodo there are
some green leaves on it and the stems still look good. Maybe it is just
not inclined to put out new growth going into winter. I'll wait on it
too but with more hope.

Cyndi