RE: Greenhouse problems

In my 8 x 10 x 8 greenhouse last year I had my shelves and plants right next
to the plastic, but it was packed. I barely had room for my little electric
heater and when I went in, the heater got set out! Maybe the plants made
enough heat combined with the electric heater that losing them was not an
issue. I will watch closely this year as my shelves are along the walls and
I have small plants sit on the window frames.

I don't think my pitch on this roof is quite as steep. Since Jerry and I are
both afraid of heights it was a real challenge to get this greenhouse made!

I came home today with what I believe is a Red Sealing Wax Palm. I am not
sure but the stems had an orangish-red cast. Anyone know if there are other
palm trees that have odd colored stems? I also bought a red sister
Cordyline. Both plants were half price and both were root bound so I had to
pot them up. The palm tree had a really good root system and by spring I
will be potting it up again.

I accidentally bought organic garden soil instead of potting soil. I added
some perilite, coco bark and orchid bark to it to get better drainage. I had
to use some of this to pot up seedlings as well. Next week I am going to try
to find some peat moss here so I can make my own soil. It seems no one here
sells vermiculite anymore so the only additive I have is perilite. I really
liked the soil better that had the combination of the three items - peat,
perilite and vermiculite.

I need to head outside and see if I can find some more hanging baskets so
some of my other plants can be hung such as my spider plants, clematis and
hoya.

I rented the movie Practical Magic last night. I was a bit disappointed that
I could not see more of the house and the greenhouse, but it was enjoyable.
The spinning wheel really got me. I have two spinning wheels and a floor
loom in my teeny tiny living room along with my enclosed glass plant
terrarium. My greenhouse, which is attached to my house, right off my
office, is actually larger than my living room! Go figure!

Sheri