RE: Rain!!!

  • To: <gardenchat@hort.net>
  • Subject: RE: Rain!!!
  • From: "Johnson, Cyndi D Civ USAF AFMC 95 CS/SCOSI" <cyndi.johnson@edwards.af.mil>
  • Date: Mon, 3 Nov 2008 09:22:39 -0800

Rain at our house too. The forecast said scattered showers so I wasn't
expecting much but we had several good downpours on Saturday. I forgot
to look at the rain gauge though. Today of course will be sunny and nice
but it's okay...it wasn't windy or cold and I enjoyed having some
different weather. Went hiking in the drizzle on Sunday and it was
I found a new nursery! One with lots of native plants no less. It is run
by the county and has actually been around for many years, but when I
visited about 15 years ago they only had a few straggly one-gallon pots
of trees. Their mission was essentially to provide trees for windbreaks
and erosion control. But in the last couple years someone quietly took
an interest in them and they've greatly expanded to provide natives and
other drought-tolerant plants for home gardeners. I bought seeds for
wildflowers plus some penstemons, yucca, and a native Artemisia for my
dry garden and I'll definitely be visiting again next spring. The guy I
talked to is gamely trying to learn about all these plants, he doesn't
know botanical names for hardly anything (at one point he asked me if I
were in the trade) but he knows common names for all his stock at least
and we had a good chat. Very nice, I might skip the yearly drive to
Theodore Payne nursery.
Husband is busy ripping out bushes along the house foundation. I still
don't have a vision on what will go there but even naked it looks better
already. The shrubs were shaded too much by the sycamores to look good
and there was no way to keep the dead sycamore leaves groomed out of
them. So far so good.