Re: OT - more sad cat news

Auralie, how are you and your Nick doing? You've been on my mind.
Judy B
To: <gardenchat@hort.net>
Sent: Monday, November 03, 2008 3:55 PM
Subject: [CHAT] OT - more sad cat news

After our scare with Sandy a few weeks ago, she has seemed very much
improved - better than she had been for a long time.  We think there must
have been an error in the blood tests, but at least we are glad she is so
well.

But now we have another crisis with our elderly tuxedo cat, Nick.
Nick somehow managed to stay out all night Halloween night.  Came in
the next morning looking pretty sad, went downstairs and just lay around
all day.  Next day he looked worse.  Took him to the vet this morning and
found that he had a massive abcess on his rear from an obvious bite - but
so big that it couldn't have been done that recently.  While he was under
anesthetic for the abcess to be cleaned, he went into cardiac arrest. They brought him around, and think he is pretty well stabilized. Since they don't
have staff at night, we brought him home. The vet says if he makes it
through the night he has a pretty good chance, but tonight will be crucial.
Apparently in addition to the toxins from the abcess, he was dehydrated
and his kidney function is not good. If he survives the night we are to take him back in the morning for more intravenous fluids and antibiotics. Right
now he is lying by the fire and hasn't moved since we put him there.  He
has cried. The vet said his brain might be damaged from the cardiac spell.
She said she didn't think he seemed "all there."  Well, he hasn't seened
"all there" for a long time, but he's a good old thing anyway, so hope he
can pull out of this.
It's a good thing I have an indexing job this week to help pay for this -
our cat medical bills are about as high as the human ones.
Auralie

**************Plan your next getaway with AOL Travel. Check out Today's Hot
5 Travel Deals!
(http://pr.atwola.com/promoclk/100000075x1212416248x1200771803/aol?redir=