Re: Today in the garden

Muscari? Do you have one that is supposed to bloom in fall? Or is that just how they bloom there? Most Muscari here put out new greenery in fall, but bloom in April. I do have on squill that is a September bloomer, but the rest bloom in spring.

neIN, Zone 5
----- Original Message ----- From: "james singer" <islandjim1@comcast.net>
To: "Garden Chat" <gardenchat@hort.net>
Sent: Thursday, November 06, 2008 8:35 PM
Subject: [CHAT] Today in the garden

It's been raining on and off--more on than off--since Sunday. It let
up earlier today for more than a few minutes, so I toured the estate.
Some rebellious plants--daylilies, roses, dahlias, and a lone azalea-- are still blooming. The chrysanthemums, which were mounds of color in
mid October are beginning to look a little tired, and the lavender has
finally stopped blooming, and most other shrubs have packed it in for
the year. The tall, old maple in the front lawn turned fire-engine red
in October and now looks like a hat-rack while a nearby birch is still
green. The muscari and the saffron crocus are up but no blooms yet.
The vegetable garden is nearly done, although the orange cherry tomato
soldiers on, blooming and setting fruit and the fava beans seem robust
in spite of the coolness of the weather. We're going to have a large
crop of undersized tomatillos in a week or so [note to self: plant
them earlier next year], but the size won't matter much; they'll still
make salsa.

Island Jim
Willamette Valley
44.99 N 123.04 W