RE: Today in the garden

  • To: <gardenchat@hort.net>
  • Subject: RE: Today in the garden
  • From: "Johnson, Cyndi D Civ USAF AFMC 95 CS/SCOSI" <cyndi.johnson@edwards.af.mil>
  • Date: Fri, 7 Nov 2008 08:19:32 -0800

My tomatoes and peppers turned to mush a few weeks back when the temps
dropped into the 30s at night. But the dry garden doesn't look terrible
- I have rabbitbrush, zauschneria, salvia greggii and germander sage
still blooming. It's no blaze of glory but it's okay. The grass weeds
are starting to germinate, I can't believe it's already time to weed.
Along with the grass there are hundreds of California poppy seedlings!
And I have a lot of salvia palmerii seedlings in a couple spots that I
should try transplanting around. I distributed the seed packets I bought
last weekend of owl's clover and something called scarlet sage - no idea
what that really is, since the nursery was pretty vague about using
botanical names.
In the weed-choked front garden the sedum and a few roses are blooming.
I will be home for the next four days so I'm hoping to get some work
done outside.