Re: seed

I'll mail them tomorrow.

Kitty
neIN, Zone 5
To: <gardenchat@hort.net>
Sent: Tuesday, November 11, 2008 5:29 PM
Subject: Re: [CHAT] seed

I would LOVE some!  Now that I have a greenhouse, I can plant them right
away and baby them over the winter.  How wonderful!

Would anyone like Paeonia japonica seed?

Propagation
Seed - best sown as soon as it is ripe in a cold frame[250]. When sown
fresh, the seed produces a root about 6 weeks after sowing with shoots
formed in the spring[200]. Stored seed is much slower, it should be sown as
soon as possible in a cold frame but may take 18 months or more to
germinate[200]. The roots are very sensitive to disturbance, so many growers
allow the seedlings to remain in their pots for 2 growing seasons before
potting them up. This allows a better root system to develop that is more
resilient to disturbance[250]. If following this practice, make sure you sow
the seed thinly, and give regular liquid feeds in the growing season to
ensure the plants are well fed. We usually prick out the seedlings into
individual pots as soon as they are large enough to handle, and then grow
them on in a cold frame for at least two growing seasons before planting
them out when they are in growth in the spring[K].

Kitty
neIN, Zone 5

--
Jesse R. Bell