RE: Where is everyone?

  • To: <gardenchat@hort.net>
  • Subject: RE: Where is everyone?
  • From: "Johnson, Cyndi D Civ USAF AFMC 95 CS/SCOSI" <cyndi.johnson@edwards.af.mil>
  • Date: Wed, 12 Nov 2008 09:10:40 -0800

I had a 4-day weekend. DH and I shredded a huge pile of stuff that he
took out of one of the front garden beds. There was a young pine tree we
decided had to go and a lot of overgrown cistus, santolina, and a
struggling Texas ranger. There is a huge native juniper that will stay
but everything around it will get cleared out, we'll get rid of the lawn
strip around it too, then cap off the sprinklers and mulch it. It's
amazing how such a big pile turned into an insignificant layer of chips
on the driveway, but it's sure tiring to stuff all that down a little
home shredder.
I got all but a couple of my patio plants into the greenhouse and
repotted my bay tree. I'm debating about planting the bay tree outside,
it is right on the edge of hardiness but maybe it's worth taking a
chance. I actually have room in the greenhouse for a few more pots, I
looked at the home center but didn't see anything fun I had to have. I
have a struggling bamboo at home, perhaps I'll repot that and move it
inside to see if it recovers.
Looks like our wild bees have departed the sprinkler box for better
living quarters. There were a zillion bees out but no activity near the
box. DH said he would wait for cold weather to actually pop the top off
and look.
My friend and I did a 9 mile hike on the Pacific Crest Trail yesterday,
that's a segment we only need to do once. Steep climbs, very little of
interest except a couple of rock formations, and no appealing place to
stop and take a break. Might be better in spring when plants are in
flower - I saw a lot of native sage, bush poppy, yuccas, and what looked
like holly. At least the weather was good.

Cyndi