Re: Where is everyone?

Plant DB agrees--hardy to -10 F. Guess I ought to plant one here. You can grow them like a shrub; they also make an interesting house plant.

On Nov 12, 2008, at 2:55 PM, Kitty wrote:

Floridata says z 8-10
http://www.floridata.com/ref/L/laur_nob.cfm

Kitty
neIN, Zone 5
To: <gardenchat@hort.net>
Sent: Wednesday, November 12, 2008 5:31 PM
Subject: Re: [CHAT] Where is everyone?

Bay is hardy there? I never planted one because I didn't think they were hardy in zone 8A. Hmm, I put something else in that spot of course (a
small viburnum) but may have to rethink the bay idea Daryl!  Thanks.

What zone are you in, Cyndi? I was told that bay wasn't hardy here, but the plant had rooted itself into the ground before I had a chance to plant it. It's behind my greenhouse, and is about 12' tall now. We used to go below zero every winter. The lowest we've been in recent years has been about 10,
perhaps briefly lower.

I got all but a couple of my patio plants into the greenhouse and
repotted my bay tree. I'm debating about planting the bay tree outside,
it is right on the edge of hardiness but maybe it's worth taking a
chance. I actually have room in the greenhouse for a few more pots, I looked at the home center but didn't see anything fun I had to have.

--
Pam Evans
Kemp TX

Island Jim