Fires

Once again we are spending hours glued to the TV watching the fire
coverage.  We're not in any danger at my house; one of the big ones is
about 30 miles from here but we're not even getting smoke from it.  On
Saturday we were supposed to take DH's sisters out to a place where they
have this little tourist train excursion. We saw that several freeways
were closed near where they live but the closures weren't where we were
going, we'd be okay we thought. However we neglected to consider that
everyone on the freeways would be looking for alternate routes...what a
mess. We ended up driving north for miles out of our way - couldn't go
back, the roads were gridlocked - and making a huge loop to eat lunch
near our house, then drive the sisters back home. I bet we put 200 miles
on the car so we could have lunch 3 miles from our own house. But of
course that's nothing compared to what thousands of other folks are
going through with evacuations and their homes destroyed.
So no gardening for me this weekend, Saturday was wasted and Sunday we
took the horses out for a long ride. Very nice weather actually, we're
not getting the wind like they are in the canyons down south. If it
weren't for that I'd be enjoying the warmth.

Cyndi