Re: {Disarmed} Our Home-Grown Melamine Problem

Last time I had chickens I fed them nothing but scratch and oyster shell--and I let them out every now and then to eat grass, bugs, and anything else that struck their fancy. They produced great eggs. We always fed turkeys that same diet, and they [Beltsville whites] developed just as fast and finished just as well as the ones fed all that mysterious high-priced stuff.

On Nov 17, 2008, at 2:33 PM, Johnson, Cyndi D Civ USAF AFMC 95 CS/ SCOSI wrote:

You can't eat anything anymore without worrying about it I guess. We eat
lots of our own home-grown lamb. And you think, well that ought to be
okay, we know what they eat - straight alfalfa grown locally - so (aside
from the whole red meat thing) it's healthy. But wait! What's in the
water they use for the alfalfa farms? Some of them are using biosolids
from the sewage plants for fertilizer, and partially treated water ditto
to water it...so now we have to find out where the hay comes from. Our
chickens eat basically "chicken chow" and what's in that, no one knows,
now we should figure out new food sources for them too? I grow my
vegetables in soil enriched with large quantities of manure from both
those sheep and the chickens. Makes my head hurt.

Cyndi

-----Original Message-----
From: owner-gardenchat@hort.net [mailto:owner-gardenchat@hort.net] On
Behalf Of james singer
Sent: Monday, November 17, 2008 1:05 PM
To: gardenchat@hort.net
Subject: Re: [CHAT] {Disarmed} Our Home-Grown Melamine Problem

Ooops! Sorry... try this

http://tinyurl.com/6xvhba

On Nov 17, 2008, at 12:55 PM, james singer wrote:

And you thought all you had to worry about was pet food and take-out
egg foo yung.

Begin forwarded message:

Our Home-Grown Melamine Problem
By JAMES E. McWILLIAMS
For all the outrage about Chinese melamine, what the United States
has failed to scrutinize is how much of the chemical has pervaded
our own food system.

Island Jim
Willamette Valley
44.99 N 123.04 W