hort.net Seasonal photo, (c) 2006 Christopher P. Lindsey, All Rights Reserved: do not copy
articles | gallery of plants | blog | tech blog | plant profiles | patents | mailing lists | top stories | links | shorturl service | tom clothier's archive0
 Navigation
Articles
Gallery of Plants
Blog
Tech Blog
Plant Profiles
Patents
Mailing Lists
    FAQ
    Netiquette
    Search ALL lists
    Search help
    Subscription info
Top Stories
Links
sHORTurl service
Tom Clothier's Archive
 Top Stories
Disease could hit Britain's trees hard

Ten of the best snowdrop cultivars

Plant protein database helps identify plant gene functions

Dendroclimatologists record history through trees

Potato beetle could be thwarted through gene manipulation

Hawaii expands coffee farm quarantine

Study explains flower petal loss

Unauthorized use of a plant doesn't invalidate it's patent

RSS story archive

RE: {Disarmed} Our Home-Grown Melamine Problem

  • To: <gardenchat@hort.net>
  • Subject: RE: {Disarmed} Our Home-Grown Melamine Problem
  • From: "Johnson, Cyndi D Civ USAF AFMC 95 CS/SCOSI" <cyndi.johnson@edwards.af.mil>
  • Date: Mon, 17 Nov 2008 15:07:13 -0800
  • Thread-index: AclJBweELW3f516WQn+yfGyzaW/OswAAYzcA
  • Thread-topic: [CHAT] {Disarmed} Our Home-Grown Melamine Problem

Yeah, too bad I don't live where there's always grass and bugs! They
really enjoy themselves when I let them out into the vegetable garden in
the fall. The eggs get better too. Didn't have much for them this year
since I cut back. Wish I could think of some clever way to get them on
the lawn without the dogs killing them...but it would take a lot of
maneuvering.

Cyndi


-----Original Message-----
From: owner-gardenchat@hort.net [mailto:owner-gardenchat@hort.net] On
Behalf Of james singer
Sent: Monday, November 17, 2008 2:50 PM
To: gardenchat@hort.net
Subject: Re: [CHAT] {Disarmed} Our Home-Grown Melamine Problem

Last time I had chickens I fed them nothing but scratch and oyster
shell--and I let them out every now and then to eat grass, bugs, and
anything else that struck their fancy. They produced great eggs. We
always fed turkeys that same diet, and they [Beltsville whites]
developed just as fast and finished just as well as the ones fed all
that mysterious high-priced stuff.

On Nov 17, 2008, at 2:33 PM, Johnson, Cyndi D Civ USAF AFMC 95 CS/
SCOSI wrote:

> You can't eat anything anymore without worrying about it I guess. We
> eat
> lots of our own home-grown lamb. And you think, well that ought to be
> okay, we know what they eat - straight alfalfa grown locally - so
> (aside
> from the whole red meat thing) it's healthy. But wait! What's in the
> water they use for the alfalfa farms? Some of them are using biosolids
> from the sewage plants for fertilizer, and partially treated water
> ditto
> to water it...so now we have to find out where the hay comes from. Our
> chickens eat basically "chicken chow" and what's in that, no one
> knows,
> now we should figure out new food sources for them too? I grow my
> vegetables in soil enriched with large quantities of manure from both
> those sheep and the chickens. Makes my head hurt.
>
> Cyndi
>
>
> -----Original Message-----
> From: owner-gardenchat@hort.net [mailto:owner-gardenchat@hort.net] On
> Behalf Of james singer
> Sent: Monday, November 17, 2008 1:05 PM
> To: gardenchat@hort.net
> Subject: Re: [CHAT] {Disarmed} Our Home-Grown Melamine Problem
>
> Ooops! Sorry... try this
>
> http://tinyurl.com/6xvhba
>
>
>
> On Nov 17, 2008, at 12:55 PM, james singer wrote:
>
>> And you thought all you had to worry about was pet food and take-out
>> egg foo yung.
>>
>>
>> Begin forwarded message:
>>
>>> Our Home-Grown Melamine Problem
>>> By JAMES E. McWILLIAMS
>>> For all the outrage about Chinese melamine, what the United States
>>> has failed to scrutinize is how much of the chemical has pervaded
>>> our own food system.
>>>
>>>
>> Island Jim
>> Willamette Valley
>> 44.99 N 123.04 W
>> Elevation 148'
>> 39.9" Precipitation
>> Hardiness Zone 8/9
>> Heat Zone 5
>> Sunset Zone 6
>> Minimum 0 F [-15 C]
>> Maximum 102 F [39 C]
>>
>> ---------------------------------------------------------------------
>> To sign-off this list, send email to majordomo@hort.net with the
>> message text UNSUBSCRIBE GARDENCHAT
>>
>
> Island Jim
> Willamette Valley
> 44.99 N 123.04 W
> Elevation 148'
> 39.9" Precipitation
> Hardiness Zone 8/9
> Heat Zone 5
> Sunset Zone 6
> Minimum 0 F [-15 C]
> Maximum 102 F [39 C]
>
> ---------------------------------------------------------------------
> To sign-off this list, send email to majordomo@hort.net with the
> message text UNSUBSCRIBE GARDENCHAT
>
> ---------------------------------------------------------------------
> To sign-off this list, send email to majordomo@hort.net with the
> message text UNSUBSCRIBE GARDENCHAT
>

Island Jim
Willamette Valley
44.99 N 123.04 W
Elevation 148'
39.9" Precipitation
Hardiness Zone 8/9
Heat Zone 5
Sunset Zone 6
Minimum 0 F [-15 C]
Maximum 102 F [39 C]

---------------------------------------------------------------------
To sign-off this list, send email to majordomo@hort.net with the
message text UNSUBSCRIBE GARDENCHAT

---------------------------------------------------------------------
To sign-off this list, send email to majordomo@hort.net with the
message text UNSUBSCRIBE GARDENCHAT



Other Mailing lists | Author Index | Date Index | Subject Index | Thread Index



 © 1995-2015 Mallorn Computing, Inc.All Rights Reserved.
Our Privacy Statement