Chickens

  • To: gardenchat@hort.net
  • Subject: Chickens
  • From: "Jesse Bell" <justjess01@gmail.com>
  • Date: Tue, 18 Nov 2008 08:42:04 -0600
  • Dkim-signature: v=1; a=rsa-sha256; c=relaxed/relaxed; d=gmail.com; s=gamma; h=domainkey-signature:received:received:message-id:date:from:to :subject:mime-version:content-type; bh=RnZrVeKTWmV3AfDkC5EO4toacf70ff/34mYyrKVOy+4=; b=JTca6IUBY32LuULcuR+8dulabCwo9RIGPzNLok0iKHXmzlvmPnnMRYr6ntlmbytUE5 TmvW3jzPqPlxB5Tzjpo/nGNUAFYqvyQnpfwmrSh89+SHgd9k8keulCQFQTHnMi68M/ic wIAB3fOEyu9vjcUr91Fcloh8WS8IUP/H9+WUI=

Yeh...my husband says they suffer from short term memory loss...can't
remember if they scratched there five seconds ago or not, but they'll do it
again just to make sure.  And you're right...they cluck and make all kinds
of noise, and if one finds a "goody" it makes a really loud noise and runs
off, then they all run after her trying to get the goody.  One day they were
fighting over a dead mouse...gross.  I could have done without that
one....ick.  And they make a distinct sound when the hawk is bothering them
and I have to go out there and shoo the hawk away.  I don't think Mr. Hawk
is after them (he's too small really) but I think he is after all the small
birds that hang out over there because of the chicken scratch on the
ground.  Talk about a bird sanctuary...I have it.  There is always bird food
and clean water, four or five big trees, and some privets that Pam sent me
as small starts about 5 years ago that are now HUGE, so the birds
always have some kind of cover.  The chickens hide under them and the small
birds sit inside so Mr. Hawk can't find them...but he got brave enough to
hop inside the privets one day to get 'em a bird and there were the two
roosters....not a good idea.  They went after him.  He lost a tail feather.
Chickens are very, VERY entertaining to watch.  But they are also very
soothing to me.  I call them my "zen chickens" cause I can go out there and
just watch them cluck around. They eat out of my hands.  Sometimes they'll
hop up on the big rock I'm sitting on and just "sit" with me.  They'll look
up at me like, "Hey...this is cool" and just sit there as long as I sit
there.  I love them.