To: <gardenchat@hort.net>
Sent: Tuesday, November 18, 2008 2:34 PM
Subject: Re: [CHAT] {Disarmed} Our Home-Grown Melamine Problem

Ya know...I just rake up the leaves to watch the chickens go nuts.  My
husband thinks I'm a bit crazy.  And I'll put a couple of trugs full of
leaves in their chicken coop to scratch around and play with.  I just get
amused watching them get all silly about a pile of leaves.  Not much
different than watching your kids rake up the leaves, only to turn around
and jump in them.
I get my grain from a local mill as well.  And there is a Quiznos (like a
Subway) across the street from where I work that just throws away their
bread at the end of the day.  Sometimes I'll go over there and ask for the
leftovers for my chickens...and THAT is a banner day for them.  Talk about
noise....man, they come RUNNING when they see the big bowl of bread crumbs
coming their way.  I give bread crumbs to my ducks and "Lady Chatsworth"
too.  And I give them scraps from the kitchen as well.  They love that
stuff.