To: <gardenchat@hort.net>
Sent: Sunday, November 23, 2008 12:33 PM
Subject: Re: [CHAT] MG

Tell me about the GenX and GenY volunteers, please. How do you approach and retain them? How do they differ from boomers? I can see how they differ from
retirees, as I can see how late boomers differ from early ones.

The only things I've noticed is that they seem to have shorter attention
spans, but like my generation (60's do-gooders) they (especially the
youngest) are eager to help when shown a real need. The early gen X seem to
be more difficult to bring out of their "me first" attitude.

I can suggest two more possible explanations for that.  One, from my
experience, the other from our extension agent's perspective. What I have
seen of volunteers is that a person who likes to volunteer, does so in
many venues, not just one. They then simply spread themselves too thin to
be readily available for projects.  Second, our Hort Ed has studied
volunteer phenomena and statistics and brought a class to us to try to
explain differences in 4 age groups and how they work, listen, volunteer,
differently from one another, thus meaning they must each be approached
differently.  It's very interesting and insightful.  It explains a lot of
why a mainly babyboomers and retirees group has trouble retaining the
interest of GenX, GenY, and Millenium volunteers.

Just more possible explanations of the issue, not criticisms.

Kitty
neIN, Zone 5