RE: ID theft

  • Subject: RE: ID theft
  • From: "Johnson, Cyndi D Civ USAF AFMC 95 CS/SCOSI" <cyndi.johnson@edwards.af.mil>
  • Date: Wed, 18 Nov 2009 12:11:14 -0800

Good thing the bank was suspicious and caught it quickly!
We had an issue once, suddenly we started getting weird charges to our
checking account. We didn't realize that criminals could make fake checks,
without even our names on them, and the bank would cash it as long as it had a
valid account number. So we closed the account, opened a new one, did the
whole police thing and got reimbursed. All was well for a couple weeks and
then it started up again. What the @%#, we thought, we closed that account!
Well as it turns out our credit union was being "helpful". They got the bogus
checks coming in on a closed account, they looked up the account number and
noticed we had opened a new one - and they charged the new account! And that's
why we don't use the credit union now...