Re: October in review
  • Subject: Re: October in review
  • From: Aplfgcnys@aol.com
  • Date: Wed, 3 Nov 2010 22:07:46 EDT

Color has been brighter here than I had expected after the summer's
drought.  The dogwoods showed color by mid-August, but have stayed
pretty bright.  I'm encouraged to see that they have set many buds this
year - the bloom last spring was the sparsest I can remember, but I do
know that heavy bloom-set sometimes reflects a stressed season.
Colors in general have been more yellow than red, but I'm sure that is
a result of the drought. What I don't understand is why some have lost
their leaves already, and some are still pretty full.
The Kousa dogwood is especially rich and bright right now - hasn't
lost anything yet.
My gingko has been spectularly golden this season - brighter than we
can remember.  Then two nights ago we had a frost.  We watched
yesterday morning as the gingko shed it's leaves - by 9:30 AM it was
totally bare and there was a brilliant circle of golden leaves on the
It always sheds all its leaves at the first frost.
One thing that has been especially bright this year is the Euonymus
alatus - winged euonymus - that was heavily planted as shrubs some
years ago and has become an invasive alien in the woods.  Some years
the plants in the woods don't color up in the fall, but this year they are
bright.  It pretty much depends on sun, and the ones in the woods don't
get as much, but this drought year the woods are bright with it.
In a message dated 11/2/2010 10:15:28 PM Eastern Daylight Time,