From: Aplfgcnys@aol.com
To: gardenchat@hort.net
Sent: Tuesday, November 9, 2010 6:39:15 PM
Subject: [CHAT] Time change

Winter is really setting in here. The time change seems symbolic.
It's cold and dark. We have had fierce winds for several days -
temps are only in the 40s, but the wind chill is like the 20s.
I still have a lot to do outdoors -had such a rush of work in the
last six weeks that I just haven't been able to get out - but my
old bones just don't appreciate the chilling winds. Maybe I can
get something done tomorrow.
Leaves are pretty much down now, but the Kousa dogwood is
still brilliant, and hasn't shed much. Interestingly, the Bradford
pear is still green and in full leaf. It usually turns pretty bright.
I don't remember it's not turning on schedule before.
I'm pleased to see that the regular dogwoods - Cornus florida -
are full of buds for next spring. They bloomed very poorly last
spring - almost no bloom. Not just mine but all over the woods.
I've heard that the extra-heavy bloom set is a response to stress
conditions this year - the drought has been serious. We have
had a couple of heavy rains in the past two weeks, but it is
still dry and the strong winds don't help a bit.
I'm told that one sign of a hard winter coming is that the deer
have dark coats - well, the ones in my back yard this week
are looking quite dark.
Anyway, I hate, hate, hate the early dark. It's so depressing
to me to have it dark before 5:00 PM. I have no desire to live in
Florida - been there, done that - but I would like the days to be
a bit longer in winter.