Re: Time change

I was just telling my husband that I love the time change right now. I know I won't later when the days get shorter and shorter but now I feel like I wake up early and get so much done before lunch. We are in full color! The Shumardi Oak is just now getting some red leaves but the Texas Ash and the Chinese Pistache are beautiful. I have one huge cottonwood that is bright yellow. It is the tallest tree in my neighborhood so it really shines. I have 3 red oaks that 2 are red red but one is still very green. I have enjoyed the Tiger Eye Sumac as it changed colors more this year than any other. I still have green tomatoes on my vines. I have covered them up a couple of times to try to give them more time on the vine. This weekend I may have to go ahead and pick them all. I have had really good luck in the past putting them in boxes with newspaper between layers. They go ahead and turn red for a long time. It is wonderful to have a garden tomato when it is cold outside. I have 3 Washington Hawthorne trees that are full of red berries and beautiful color. I love the purple leaves and red stems of the Theresa Bugnet Rose. Red Twig dogwoods are turning red. The virginia creeper is beautiful along with the bittersweet vine with bright orange berries. I love fall.... and all the fall color. I decorated with my scarecrows and gourds more this year than any other. Today I had insulation blown in my attic. Our house is almost 30 years old and I am sure no one has ever added to the insulation. I have wanted to do this for several years but could never get my husband to help me unload the attic. Friday he had time to hand down everything so I could go through and discard and reorganize everything. I have most of it all ready to go back but pictures. I have so many loose pictures that I have to put in scrapbooks. Such a big job... that is why I need cold snowy, wet winter days that will keep me inside so I can work on this job.
Happy Fall to all of you!
----- Original Message ----- From: "BONNIE_HOLMES" <bonnie_holmes@comcast.net>
To: <gardenchat@hort.net>
Sent: Tuesday, November 09, 2010 6:54 PM
Subject: Re: [CHAT] Time change

Not here. We had a cold front come through and the snapdragons and
pansies perked up but today it was 69. I really dislike the yoyo effect.
I'm ready for things to go to bed, a season change. It's been too warm
and I am ready to bundle up. Before retirement, at this time of year, I
went to work and came home in the dark so I saw no big difference. Like
you, I am ready for more rain. None is forecast for this week so I will
have to water the things I planted this fall. Ugh.

I still have dogwood, sassafras, Carolina sweet spice, large leaf magnolia, and fothergilla. Several sages are still blooming.

Sorry winter makes you depressed. To me, I just want to go inside, get a
nice hot dinner and settle down to a good book or quilting, and/or watch
a good program. Maybe, I am part bear and want to hibernate.

ETN Zone 7

----- Original Message ----- From: Aplfgcnys@aol.com