From: owner-gardenchat@hort.net [mailto:owner-gardenchat@hort.net] On Behalf
Of Aplfgcnys@aol.com
Sent: Tuesday, November 30, 2010 11:04 AM
To: gardenchat@hort.net
Subject: [CHAT] Hardy cyclamens

A planting of hardy Cyclamens was observed on upper 5th Ave. last
week.  The person who saw them is not an ardent gardener, and was
not aware of any Cyclamens other than the ones bought from florists
in pots.  I had grown C. neapolitanum  some years ago, but after
about three years it didn't return, and I somehow never remembered
to replace it. It occurred to me that since my small garden club is
planning a Petite Standard Flower Show next fall, this might be a
good small fall-blooming plant for a challenge class.  (A Petite
Standard show is one in which all the designs are smaller than
8 inches and all the horticulture is either naturally small or noted
as dwarf or miniature by growers.  There are State and National
awards for the best flower show in each category and membership
size, but a club may not apply for the same award it won in the
previous year.  Since our club usually wins each year for our size
category, we alternate between the Petite size and the Standard
size.)

All that said, do any of you have experience with these plants.
Maclure & Zimmerman catalog lists three hardy species, all dwarf.
Since they are in the fall catalog, I assume they should be planted
in the fall, but if it is too late this season to organize a club project,
may they be started in the spring?  It has been quite a few years
since I have grown them, and I frankly can't remember when I planted
them.  Most of my club members are good growers, and they are
pretty game when I suggest new things to them.  I got them into a
project with Achimenes a few years back that has led to  some
spectacular displays, and we have an ongoing commitment to plant
Caladiums for various projects.

Any advice or information about growing Cyclamens will be greatly
appreciated.

Auralie