Re: Corpus Christi ?
gardenchat@hort.net
  • Subject: Re: Corpus Christi ?
  • From: TeichFauna@aol.com
  • Date: Thu, 3 Nov 2011 16:40:07 -0400 (EDT)

Patricia, you should love it.  It will be totally different, since it  is
zone 9b....but coastal gardening is wonderful. Not much different than here
in Houston, same zone.  The upside is that you will be able to grow many
plants outside that are considered "house" plants in the northern States.
Many tropical fruits, great Citrus and Palm growing part of the country.
There is a terrific Palm society down that way that is really nice.    The
downside is that you won't be able to grow the cool weather plants like
Peonies, and other cold zone plants.  As many that move down here from the
north....you only miss it for a short time, then you realize all the things you
can grow that you could not before.   You will definitely not be sorry  as a
gardener, I can assure you of that.  It will be a bit of an  adjustment, but
over all, you will be happy.    You'll love the  weather too!   Think
sub-tropical.  Sure it's Hurricane area, but  the Texas coast is spared more than
the mid west is from Tornados and snow  storms.  Won't have to ever worry
about a snow storm again....if we get a  little we are all out celebrating.
Be prepared to live more outside than  inside.  Corpus is a very pretty city,
and very close to other cities like  San Antonio, which is tons of fun
too...with lots to see and do.

Noreen
zone 9
Texas Gulf Coast

In a message dated 11/3/2011 7:40:07 AM Central Daylight Time,