Re: More strange fall weather
  • Subject: Re: More strange fall weather
  • From: Catharine Carpenter <cathycrc@comcast.net>
  • Date: Thu, 3 Nov 2011 20:53:10 -0500

Greetings, everyone! Missed hearing from you all, until the "strange fall weather posts". Here, we went from too much rain in the spring and early summer, to nothing (plus godawful heat) until tonight, when we were blest with a little over 1.5 inches. The heat kept me from most garden maintenance, so I find myself embarrassed to call myself a Master Gardener. My vegetable garden fulfilled expectations, except for my edamame, which again got eaten. Would give up, except I have no source of fresh soybeans under a two hour drive. I went to Fairbanks, AK, for a week in August to help my daughter unpack - they will be at the AF base there for the next 3 years. DH decided that since the mission involved work, as opposed to touring, he would stay home. I enjoyed Fairbanks - at some 27,000 people, it is the second largest city in Alaska. The University of Alaska campus was impressive, and it had a very nice botanical garden, unfortunately at risk due to budget cuts :>(. My daughter wanted gardening advice... a real challenge in a z2 climate! Fortunately, as we drove around town, we saw beautiful annuals... a logical solution, especially given the long summer days. I experienced two beautiful long distance views of Denali (Mt McKinley), no moose (even though they were supposedly all over). Maybe next summer...
Cathy, west central IL, z5b