Re: 2012 Seed Catalogs
  • Subject: Re: 2012 Seed Catalogs
  • From: "Christopher P. Lindsey" <lindsey@mallorn.com>
  • Date: Thu, 24 Nov 2011 13:00:57 -0500 (EST)

> Well,
> We will be taking care of catalogs this year... there will not be
> one. We
> made the decision of eliminate hard copy catalogs beginning this
> year.
> Printing and postage costs to a small business such as ourselves is
> simply
> prohibitive. We know it is going to cost us some of our oldest
> customers...
> but. Time to follow thru, live up to being responsible for our part
> in the
> world we live in.

I sometimes wonder how effective a digital catalog would be as
a replacement for paper catalogs.

When I tried my nursery (which I had to give up because of
marriage and a lack of space) I had written something that
would put a PDF onto a CD (with every plant clickable and
bringing me to an order page); the idea was to send a
mini-CD out in the mail for fifty cents, somebody would
stick it in their computer, and voila...

You can view an intermediate (large, 5MB) file at

It was auto-generated from the database used for the online
store.  Yes, formatting isn't perfect.  :)

My question is whether or not the technology is still too
new for customers or if the price is still prohibitively

I did find that the PDF worked fine on a Kindle, too.