Re: 2012 Seed Catalogs
gardenchat@hort.net
  • Subject: Re: 2012 Seed Catalogs
  • From: Catharine Carpenter <cathycrc@comcast.net>
  • Date: Sun, 27 Nov 2011 15:59:50 -0600

Hope all have had a wonderful Thanksgiving, and have your Christmases under control! As a lover of seed catalogs (a wonderful way to deal with those winter days) I mourn their demise, though I truly understand the reasons that growers have to back off. We have certainly had challenging conditions this year and I expect 2012 to be just the same! As many have mentioned, physical challenges are also significant, and I have not been exempt. The conditions of my gardening beds are a continuing source of embarassment, as neither my spouse nor I have the will to tackle them in conditions of extreme heat or damp chill, and our 2 acre property, which seemed to have so many possibilities, now just reminds me of our lack of strength and energy. Not that I am giving up, but I am pulling back my "circle of do-ability". I am having the retaining walls around my two perennial beds redone in versi-lock bricks, and spent three days pulling out almost everything in them. Hope to spend my winter considering my planting options there. I would love to downsize, while still having a little dirt to dig in, but the spouse is resistant, and there is the inertia factor. I continue to be active as a Master Gardener, and have taken on a monthly ~20 min call in radio spot on one of our community AM stations. Was really surprised how many still listen to radio, and tell me they tune in!
Cathy, west central IL, z5b