Re: storm..../ contacts
gardenchat@hort.net
  • Subject: Re: storm..../ contacts
  • From: TeichFauna@aol.com
  • Date: Mon, 5 Nov 2012 13:44:42 -0500 (EST)

Nope, not just you, Gene!  I have to say though, that I haven't  noticed
that this group has "fallen by the wayside" before, just that certain
"regulars" like Kitty, Cerces, etc. were not posting.  I really first  noticed the
overall lack of participation on this list with the  introduction of the
sister list for the software/website.  I hadn't  noticed before....sure there
are times when it's slower due to people being  busy, etc. but it always
picks back up.  Unfortunately, in recent  years, I haven't had as much time or
opportunity to keep  up.  But it was nice to know you all were there when I
did come up for  air.....like coming back home to a familiar crowd.  With
this storm though,  it became apparent that we were perhaps losing touch.  Heck
of a thing for  a storm to bring us back together.....perhaps that is the
positive to the  negative?

I do belong to a number of lists, but don't participate in most, even back
when (before social media)....I like to lurk and learn, and put in a word
here  and there, if it pertains or is relevant.  I am moderator on one list,
and  have not noticed a decline in that one, but then it is a localized
gardening  list, so perhaps due to the subject matter being closer to home.  As
far as  other social media.... I might be a twit, HA,  but I don't
tweet.....too much for me.  (Pardon the pun)   I do enjoy FB so  much though....just
for keeping in touch with people across the ocean, and  country...family
and friends that I've otherwise lost contact with through the  years, or just
write once a year with a holiday card. FB keeps you  connected to folks,
even though you don't see each other or correspond  regularly.  Also......You
get to know people on a broader scale that you  might not otherwise get to
know them as closely in a "group" or list.  It's  kind of, to me, like getting
to know someone outside of "work".  There are  so many facets to our lives
that many of us don't discuss in a group or list  that is dedicated to one
subject.  So I find that part most  interesting.

 I have been on FB for a number of years but have not found any  intrusion
into my privacy or other issues.  I am careful and only  befriend those I
know, and have strict privacy settings, and don't post my every  move.   Plus,
as someone pointed out recently.....on FB, I can set it  so that only my
friends, or a certain circle see messages, however, when writing  in to a
list...I might be addressing the "regulars", however, there might be  hundreds
more on the list that lurk, or it is a public list, so I have  no control
over who is a member or reads my posts.  For that reason, I  don't list private
info (phone, address, etc.) on a list or FB, if someone wants  that, I
gladly email it.  I stay away from Apps, games, etc.on FB or  my Cell phone,
anything that allows my information to be shared with  everyone.   As far as my
consumer activity (stores,  organizations, etc. that I "like" on FB, etc)
that information is  just as available through credit card usage, cell
phone, online  banking, etc.  I heard today on the news that Political parties
are  now keeping tabs on their constituents as to what stores, restaurants,
clubs,  organizations they particpate in, etc., as well as other information
that  one would consider private.  With modern technology there really isn't
much privacy period....so if I were really concerned, I'd not only  have to
stop using FB,  I'd have to give up my using the PC, Cell  phone, credit
cards, and anything else that can be monitored.   I  really don't lead an
interesting enough life, for my private information that I  post on FB to be of
benefit to anyone!!  As with any of the  private information, not just with
modern technology, and not just FB....one  just has to be careful and not
divulge that which could be useful to  others.

I don't think any of us would say that the risk of using a PC, cell  phone,
etc. outweighs the convenience, or enjoyment we get from it. We  even
consider them necessities for the most part.  Once one has tried
something.....new technology, etc.....one puts up with whatever risk there is,  just for
the convenience and pure pleasure one recieves from using it.  And  I'm so not
a techy person AT ALL....heck, I'm probably the only person on the  planet
that still has dial up!  (Don't LAUGH! I'm serious.)  If you  don't use
something, you have no experience of the convenience or  pleasure, and you tend
to listen and put more credence to  all the horror stories........ which
keeps you from trying it out even  more.  However, I have to admit, once I give
in, I just am amazed why I  didn't do so sooner!!!!   :-)

I am grateful to Chris for this list, and also thrilled to be connected to
many of you on FB as well.....

Noreen
Texas Gulf Coast

In a message dated 11/4/2012 3:30:03 PM Central Standard Time,