Re: storm..../ contacts
gardenchat@hort.net
  • Subject: Re: storm..../ contacts
  • From: "Christopher P. Lindsey" <lindsey@mallorn.com>
  • Date: Mon, 5 Nov 2012 15:50:04 -0600 (CST)

----- Original Message -----
> Definitely let's not have Chat expire. Rich, the peonies you sent me
> several years ago are the toughest plants in my garden. I have pretty
> much let go of all plants that are not tough and drought tolerant. I
> can't take the heat like I could when u was younger.

Well, from a technical standpoint it's not going to expire.  The
infrastructure has been here since 1997, and I have no plans for it
to go away.

We just have to talk more.  :)

I'm also going to touch on some of the Facebook privacy issues just for
giggles' sake since I've seen some messages about it...

Probably my biggest problems come from Facebook's developer
program.  Anyone who writes an app for Facebook can get all of
your data -- and all of your friends' data, too.  There was
a recent article by a guy who bought a database of one million
Facebook names, email addresses, and phone numbers for $5.  The
list had apparently been generated by an app that someone wrote
for Facebook.

The next issue I have is with their mobile version.  The mobile
version takes the entire contact list from the phone, including
phone numbers, and stores it in Facebook.  You can actually go
to Facebook and type in someone's phone number in the search bar;
if that person's information was downloaded via the mobile app
on their own phone or someone else's, it will tell you who that
phone number belongs to.

And then, of course, there's the facial recognition database.  Any
time that your face is tagged in a photo (by you or by anyone else)
Facebook does facial recognition analysis and puts your info into
a database.  That database is then sold to security agencies,
foreign and domestic governments, etc.  Germany sued and blocked
it in certain European countries, but it's still used in the US.

I like a lot of things about Facebook, but I don't like how they're
using us.

Chris