Re: storm..../ contacts
  • Subject: Re: storm..../ contacts
  • From: TeichFauna@aol.com
  • Date: Tue, 6 Nov 2012 08:05:51 -0500 (EST)

Chris, this is precisely why I don't use Apps on FB. or play  games.  Plus,
they seriously would slow my system down.
As for FB on the smart phone, having just recently upgraded.....it's true
that FB will prompt you to put all your FB contacts on the phone.  I wish I
had said no, but at the time, it was being set up by the Cell phone
company's  personnel, so when asked, I just said yes.....not realizing or giving it
much  thought.  It didn't add phone numbers though unless they were already
 listed on FB.  I had to go in and merge my existing log with the FB  log.
I will have to check to see if it has my phone number listed now,  that I
have FB on my phone.  Would be interesting, since I did put a block  on my
phone number being published.
Going back to using the PC period.....or having your info out there at
all.  Long before FB was around, someone told me to do a search on my
name......well, I was shocked at the amount of information that was out  there.
Came from public records, including my address, etc.   Organizations I belong
to, where my name has appeared in their newsletters, or  membership rosters,
all that was available.  Also, the funniest, and later  most annoying, was
that I had signed a petition (long before 9/11) or any  problems in any of
the Arab countries...this was back before I had even joined  the AHS list, or
perhaps the first year.   Anyway, I signed a petition  from a womens rights
group against the mistreatment of women in  Afghanistan.  When I did the
search (also before 9/11) my name appeared on  all sorts of women's rights
websites.  I knew it was from the same petition  since it had my friends names
before and after....the same ones appeared on  every website, in the exact
order. It was humerous at the time.....but later  after 9/11) when my mom and
I flew back to Germany for a visit.......I was red  flagged....due to my
name appearing on all sorts of muslim websites, etc.   I did a search again,
and sure enough, same names just on Arabic websites, had  no clue what they
were saying.  I had to do a lot of explaining about the  initial petition,
etc.  For years I was hassled at the airports.   Haven't traveled in a few
years now overseas, so don't know if it is  better....but I have never signed
another petition since...it was my first and  only time......but to this day,
my name (along with the others on the petition)  appear constantly on all
sorts of websites.
Texas Gulf Coast
In a message dated 11/5/2012 3:55:04 PM Central Standard Time,