Re: storm....at last
gardenchat@hort.net
  • Subject: Re: storm....at last
  • From: "Daryl" <dp2413@comcast.net>
  • Date: Fri, 16 Nov 2012 17:06:27 -0500

I'm glad that you're back to normal. Isn't it strange how accustomed we are to being able to have the world at our fingertips? When our internet goes out, I feel like a deprived addict. My husband says my fingers twitch.

Do you have a fireplace, wood stove or kerosene heater? We have a small generator, but it's only enough to power the refrigerator and lights. In a pinch, we could throw the main switch off and power the well pump, which was what we got it for, but in a storm, it's rare to have enough gasoline to run it for very long at one time. Our furnace is forced air, so no power, no blower. Fortunately, at about the time we got the generator, the power grid became more stable because they built a big transfer station close by, and since we're close to a corner where the line comes in from the major feeder line, we've not had to use it much. Mostly we've loaned the generator to people a little bit down the road who are on another circuit, and once to my parents when an ice storm knocked out their power.

I'm glad that Chet's ok. My Dad's cardiologist explained that while the A-fib in itself is not all that harmful, the blood that can clot in the heart when it's not pumping properly because of the A-fib can become dislodged and cause a stroke or pulmonary embolism. It's a fine balance between Dad's falling and the Coumadin that would prevent the clots. The cardiologist and his internist finally decided that the danger from his falling and having a brain bleed was greater than the chance of his having a clot, so discontinued the Coumadin. Dad will be 99 in January. His doctors have been doing an amazing job of keeping him going since his heart attack in '96.

-----Original Message----- From: Aplfgcnys@aol.com