Re: storm....at last
  • Subject: Re: storm....at last
  • From: "Daryl" <dp2413@comcast.net>
  • Date: Sat, 17 Nov 2012 13:43:04 -0500

I'm glad you were able to do some planting. I always found it therapeutic.

What's Chet tripping on?

-----Original Message----- From: Aplfgcnys@aol.com
Sent: Friday, November 16, 2012 6:11 PM
To: gardenchat@hort.net
Subject: Re: [CHAT] storm....at last

In a message dated 11/16/2012 5:15:04 PM Eastern Standard Time,
dp2413@comcast.net writes:

I'm glad that you're back to normal. Isn't it strange how accustomed we are
to being able to have the world at our fingertips? When our internet goes
out, I feel like a deprived addict. My husband says my fingers twitch.

Do you have a fireplace, wood stove or kerosene heater? We have a small
generator, but it's only enough to power the refrigerator and lights. In a
pinch, we could throw the main switch off and power the well pump, which
what we got it for, but in a storm, it's rare to have enough gasoline to
it for very long at one time. Our furnace is forced air, so no power, no
blower. Fortunately, at about the time we got the generator, the power grid
became more stable because they built a big transfer station close by, and
since we're close to a corner where the line comes in from the major feeder
line, we've not had to use it much. Mostly we've loaned the generator to
people a little bit down the road who are on another circuit, and once to
parents when an ice storm knocked out their power.

We do have a fireplace, but didn't need to use it since it didn't get very
We have forced air heat, too, but the generator seems to run the whole
The well pump is really the most important thing, and the refrigerator.  I
to run the generator for long enough to keep the food from spoiling, but
turn it off to save gasoline.  I would run  it for about two hours, then
turn it
off for three or four.  A nuisance.

I'm glad that Chet's ok. My Dad's cardiologist explained that while the
A-fib in itself is not all that harmful, the blood that can clot in the
heart when it's not pumping properly because of the A-fib can become
dislodged and cause a stroke or pulmonary embolism. It's a fine balance
between Dad's falling and the Coumadin that would prevent the clots. The
cardiologist and his internist finally decided that the danger from his
falling and having a brain bleed was greater than the chance of his having
clot, so discontinued the Coumadin.  Dad will be 99 in January. His doctors
have been doing an amazing job of keeping him going since his heart attack
in '96.

Chet has not seen his cardiologist yet, but the internist just said he
have physical therapy and consider moving to a place that would be smooth
without anything to trip on.  He has had three falls from tripping this
In other words, the doc thinks we should go to an old folks home, but that's
not an option for me.

At least I was able to get my bulbs planted after the storm was over and
before Chet's problem.  I didn't need power to plant the bulbs.