Re: How's everybody doing?
gardenchat@hort.net
  • Subject: Re: How's everybody doing?
  • From: kathy <cornergar@aol.com>
  • Date: Wed, 6 Nov 2013 08:14:00 -0500 (EST)

Beautiful fall this year and no snow so far. The serviceberry is just now
dropping it's leaves and the 5 bald cypress by the pond are rusty orange and
already have a "skirt" of the same color on the ground around them. My pond is
struggling to keep it's bottom covered as we have not had adequate rain this
fall. Lost several trees because of last year's drought and now i fear for the
evergreens. Cut flowers did fairly well this year and my daughter decided she
would sell bouquets and plants potted in " interesting" containers at the
local Sat. farm market. One of her creations was to plant the top of dolls
heads (removed from the bodies) with trailing plants, mostly succulents.
Public reaction was mixed. Either they would turn away saying "too creepy" or
they loved them! Tomato and zucchini harvest was huge and I was glad for the
first frost. Am having some health issues and am frustrated at not being
outside more. All the garden columnists are listing fall cleanup chores.
Here's hoping I won't have too much of a mess in the spring if I don't get
them done. kathy    p.s. so good to hear from Chris and Judy. I miss this
group.